A few months ago, I posted the recipe for my tooth powder. Today, I am sharing my remineralizing toothpaste recipe. Most of the ingredients are the same as the tooth powder, except this one also contains coconut oil in addition to bentonite clay, both of which are very effective in removing impurities from teeth. I have found that this toothpaste recipe is a bit easier to get accustomed to for most people since the texture is more like commercial toothpaste. It does still leave some residue on your sink, but that can be easily cleaned off with a wet towel.
- 3 tablespoons raw coconut oil – remineralizes teeth and draws out impurities from teeth
- 3 tablespoons bentonite clay – remineralizes teeth and draws out impurities from teeth
- 1 teaspoon baking soda – polishes teeth, draws out stains, and freshens breath
- 3/4 teaspoon finely ground unrefined sea salt or Himalayan salt – antiseptic and remineralizes teeth
- 3/4 teaspoon clove powder – adds flavour and has astringent properties
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon – same as clove powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon xylitol powder – natural sweetener and inhibits the growth of bacteria that cause cavities
- 15 drops peppermint essential oil – same as clove powder
- Melt the coconut oil in a double boiler or glass bowl over a small saucepan with an inch of water. Bring water to a boil and lower the heat to a simmer, and stir until the coconut is all melted.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl (you can use your final container).
- Gradually add the melted coconut oil to the dry ingredients, mixing as you go. Remember to mix using a stainless steel or wooden spoon. Do not use metal spoons with bentonite clay, as it can absorb the metals in the spoon and become less effective.
- If required, transfer into a stainless steel or glass jar with an airtight lid.
- To use the toothpaste, add a little to a wet toothbrush (I usually just dip my toothbrush into the jar and that works perfectly fine for me) and brush as normal. Note: As noted before, this toothpaste can leave a residue on your sink, but it can be easily cleaned off with a wet cloth.