Earlier, I shared a recipe for a natural, DEET-free mosquito repellent. One of the key ingredients in that recipe is lemon eucalyptus essential oil. Repelling mosquitoes isn’t the only outdoor use for essential oils though. In fact, there are many ways they can be used in the garden. And why not, essential oils come from plants anyways and plants use these essential oils to protect themselves from bacteria, viruses, fungi, and/or to deter unwanted pests from consuming the plant. They are also used to attract pollinators such as bees. So in today’s post, I’m going to share a few more recipes that you can use in the garden. They include a general insect deterrent spray that works well on a variety of insects including ants, aphids, blackflies, and cabbage root flies, a slug deterrent spray, and an anti-mold and mildew spray.
In all cases, prepare the spray using this method. For the slug deterrent spray and the anti-mold and mildew spray, you can skip step 1.
- Combine the essential oils in a small glass bottle with an orifice reducer or dropper, and shake to mix well.
- Put 2 drops of the blend into 500 mL of water. Save the rest of the essential oil blend for future use.
- Pour the mixture through an unbleached paper coffee filter to filter out any essential oil globules.
- Add 1 tablespoon of this liquid to another 500 mL of water. Save the rest of the liquid for future use.
- Pour the final mixture into a spray bottle and spray your affected plants and areas. As oil and water do not mix, when spraying onto flowers, fruit, or vegetables, remember to shake the mixture well before each time you spray.
General Insect Deterrent Spray Blend
- 1 drop cinnamon essential oil
- 4 drops rosemary essential oil
- 2 drops clove essential oil
- 1 drop thyme essential oil
- 3 drops lemongrass essential oil
After preparing the mixture as outlined in the steps above, spray on affected areas.
Slug Deterrent Spray Blend
- 1 drop cedarwood essential oil
- 1 drop pine essential oil
Skip the above step 1 for this spray, and place 1 drop of each essential oil directly into 500 mL of water. Follow the remaining steps and spray on areas that are frequented by slugs.
Anti-Mold & Mildew Spray Blend
- 1 drop tea tree essential oil
- 1 drop clove bud essential oil
Skip the above step 1 for this spray, and place 1 drop of each essential oil directly into 500 mL of water. Follow the remaining steps and spray on affected areas.