Our family pretty much never uses conventional antibacterial soaps or hand sanitizers. They contain harmful ingredients like triclosan and fragrances or skin irritants like alcohol. Instead, we use natural soap and water to wash our hands whenever we can. It is just as effective at killing germs and bacteria.
But when we don’t have access to water, we use this natural aloe vera hand sanitizer spray with lavender and tea tree oils, both of which are antibacterial and antiviral. This spray is easy to make and it’s safe for babies over the age of 3 months. You can pop it in your bag so you can use it when you’re on the go. Plus, it smells good!
Below is the recipe as well as a video with step-by-step instructions on how to make it. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
- 1 teaspoon Pure Witch Hazel Extract (alcohol-free, so it can be used on babies and individuals with sensitive skin)
- ½ teaspoon Glycerin
- 12 drops Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) essential oil
- 12 drops Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia) essential oil
- 7 drops Vitamin E
- ~70 mL Aloe Vera Juice
- 80 mL Aluminum Bottle with Mister
- Combine all ingredients except aloe vera juice in the bottle.
- Fill the remainder of the bottle with aloe vera juice.
- Shake well before use.
- Safe for babies 3 months and older.