When I’m craving for some chocolate and sweet, this is what I often turn to my dairy-free chocolate mousse! It is so creamy and delicious, you would never guess its main ingredient is avocado!
Why it’s so good for you:
Raw cacao is one of the world’s most potent sources of antioxidants and minerals, and avocado is loaded with healthy fats and fiber to fill you up.
Did you know:
Both cacao and cocoa are made from cacao beans. However, cacao is made by cold-processing unroasted cacao beans, while cocoa is made from roasted cacao beans. By not subjecting the cacao beans to high temperatures, it retains more nutrients.
(use organic ingredients where possible)
- 2 medium-sized ripe avocados
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder, or more to taste
- 5 fresh dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut milk, nut milk or filtered water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Optional: toasted coconut threads, grated dark chocolate or berries to serve
- Soak the dates in warm water for 10 – 30 minutes to soften.
- Scoop the avocado flesh into a blender.
- Add the softened dates, milk, vanilla, salt, and cacao powder to the blender.
- Blend until smooth. You may need to add a little more liquid to make it blend more easily, and scrape down the sides of the blender container a few times.
- Add more cacao powder if needed. Serve and garnish with your choice of toppings.